CENTENNIAL, Colo., Aug. 31, 2015 – Colorado Public Radio's classical service (CPR Classical) announces its “CPR Classical LIVE” 2015-2016 broadcast season, with 14 broadcasts of performances from five of the state’s top classical music organizations. The ambitious, nine-month-long schedule features live broadcasts, as well as several recorded concerts and exclusive interviews with world-renowned conductors and musicians.
“We’ve hand-selected key performances from Colorado’s leading performing arts organizations,” said CPR Classical Program Director Monika Vischer. "‘CPR Classical LIVE’ captures the state's vibrant classical music community and creates a hub for people to connect and enjoy the music."
“CPR Classical LIVE” begins on Sept. 13 with the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra’s opening night and continues through May 2016. During the season, listeners can also hear the first-ever live CPR Classical broadcasts from Friends of Chamber Music, as well as performances from the Aspen Music Festival Winter Recital Series, five concerts from the Colorado Symphony and the world premiere of Lori Laitman's "The Scarlet Letter" performed by Opera Colorado.
“CPR Classical LIVE” Schedule:
- Sept. 13, 7 p.m. – Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra *Live Broadcast | Ravel/Fujiwara/Rachmaninoff | Conductor: Michael Butterman | Violin: Charles Wetherbee | Piano: Gabriela Montero
- Sept. 18, 7:30 p.m. – Colorado Symphony *Live Broadcast | Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky | Piano: Alessio Bax | Conductor: Andrew Litton
- Oct. 14, 7 p.m.– Friends of Chamber Music| Jerusalem Quartet | Haydn/Bartok/Dvorák
- Nov. 15, 4 p.m. – Friends of Chamber Music *Live Broadcast | de Falla, Messiaen/Schumann/Tüür/Adams | Violin: Leila Josefowicz
- Dec. 1, 7 p.m. – Opera Colorado | Verdi’s “Aïda” | Aida: Alexandra Lobianco | Radames: Carl Tanner | Amneris: Catherine Martin | Amonasro: Marco Nistico | Conductor: Ari Pelto
- Dec. 18, 7:30 p.m. – Colorado Symphony *Live Broadcast | Handel’s “Messiah” | Colorado Symphony Chorus | Soprano: Mary Wilson | Mezzo: Corrie Stallings | Tenor: Derek Chester | Bass: Andrew Garland | Conductor: Duain Wolfe
- Jan. 29, 7:30 p.m. – Colorado Symphony *Live Broadcast | Sibelius/Khachaturian/Mussorgsky/Ravel | Violin: Claude Sim | Conductor: Jayce Ogren
- Feb. 24, 7:30 p.m. – Friends of Chamber Music *Live Broadcast | Schubert and Debussy | Piano: Steven Osborne
- March 2, 7 p.m.– Aspen Music Festival and School | Strauss/Grieg/Mendelssohn/Chopin | Cello: David Finckel | Piano: Wu Han
- March 12, 6:30 p.m. – Aspen Music Festival and School *Live Broadcast | Curtis on Tour | Sibelius and Mozart | Clarinet: Michael Rusinek
- April 15, 7:30 p.m. – Colorado Symphony *Live Broadcast | Bernstein/Kahane/Gershwin | Conductor/piano: Jeffrey Kahane | Vocals/guitar: Gabriel Kahane
- April 23, 6 p.m.– Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra | Spheres of Influence | Mazzoli/Shostakovich/Tchaikovsky/Mendelssohn | Violin: Anne Akiko Meyers | Conductor: Michael Butterman
- May 7, 7:30 p.m. – Opera Colorado *Live Broadcast | Laitman’s “The Scarlet Letter” (world premiere) | Conductor: Ari Pelto
- May 13, 7:30 p.m. – The Colorado Symphony *Live Broadcast | Dessner/Bartók/Dvorák | Violin: Yumi Hwang-Williams | Conductor: Andre de Ridder
Colorado Public Radio is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that enriches the Colorado community by providing news, information and music for people who want to be informed, enlightened and entertained. Roughly 95 percent of CPR's funds come from the private support of listeners, businesses and foundations.
News: Denver 90.1 FM, Boulder 1490 AM, Pueblo 1230 AM, Vail 89.9 FM, Grand Junction 89.5 FM, Montrose / Craig / Parachute 88.3 FM, Gunnison 89.9 FM, Ouray 91.5 FM, Meeker / Rangely 91.1 FM, and online at www.cprnews.org.
Classical: Denver 88.1 FM, Boulder 99.9 FM, Pueblo 91.9 FM, Colorado Springs 94.7 FM, Vail 89.1 FM, Glenwood Springs 90.5 FM, Aspen 101.5 FM, Western Slope 103.3 FM, Dove Creek 88.7 FM, Gunnison 89.1 FM, Cortez 102.5 FM, Crystal River Valley / Old Snowmass 93.9 FM, Thomasville 98.3 FM, Basalt 90.1 FM and online at www.cprclassical.org.
OpenAir: Denver and Boulder 102.3 FM, Fort Collins 88.3 FM and online at www.openaircpr.org.