Colorado Public Radio News is expanding and is looking for an experienced Public Affairs Reporter. The Public Affairs Reporter develops a beat that covers a range of government related stories from small town issues with big ramifications to elections, the state legislature and government agencies and policies. This person keeps the human interest factor high in their stories and deploys good investigative skills as needed. Stories will be published on all digital platforms and air in CPR news magazines, newscasts, Colorado Matters.
- Identifies trends, pays attention to city hall and county commissioner agendas in communities across the state, develops sources and gets ahead of legislative issues before the General Assembly in January. All of this work leads to enterprise work that’s unique to CPR.
- Researches, writes, reports, edits, and voices stories weekly for morning and afternoon news magazines.
- Coordinates, writes and produces digital content with the features editor and digital team. This person is expected to take photographs on assignment, tweet from the field and provide explainer material to digital ahead of major developments on the beat.
- Works with features editor to engage community members. Monitors Facebook groups, Reddit threads and other social media forums to see what conversations around government are percolating.
- Participates in assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.