Colorado Public Radio News is expanding and has a brand new opportunity for a Western Slope Regional Reporter. The Western Slope Regional Reporter develops this geographic beat that is based in Grand Junction, CO and encompasses the western slope and mountain areas. This reporter covers major news developments in their region while also looking for the untold stories that define the place. They will also coordinate with the Denver-based beat reporters - education, environment, government, health, arts and business - to help expand our coverage of those beats on the Western Slope. They will produce newscast items and daily and in-depth feature reports for radio, digital and social media platforms.
- Identifies trends and newsworthy developments in the region with a statewide interest and relevance.
- Manages the beat by recognizing top priorities, communicates effectively with editor and other beat reporters as needed.
- Researches, writes, reports, edits, and voices radio stories weekly for morning and afternoon news magazines. Provides soundbites, wraps and voicers for hourly newscasts. Expected to join Colorado Matters’ host on air with updates and debriefs as needed as well as providing debriefs with news magazine hosts.
- Coordinates, writes and produces digital content with the features editor and digital team. This person is expected to take photographs on assignment, tweet from the field and provide explainer material to digital ahead of major developments on the beat.
- Works with features editor to engage community members through CPR News social and engagement channels. Monitors Facebook groups, Reddit threads and other social media forums to identify and report relevant stories to CPR’s audience.
- Participates in assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.