The U.S Department of Education has named 329 new National Blue Ribbon Schools, six of which you’ll find in Colorado.
Blue Ribbon Schools are public and private elementary, middle, and high schools that are either high-level performing or have made substantial improvements in closing achievement gaps. The bulk of the schools named to the 2016 list are in the Denver Metro area with the lone exception of an elementary school in Colorado Springs.
Colorado’s 2016 Blue Ribbon Schools
- Cory Elementary School -- Denver
- DSST Green Valley Ranch High School -- Denver
- St. Mary’s Academy Lower School -- Englewood
- Devinney Elementary School -- Lakewood
- Parker Core Knowledge Charter School K-8 -- Parker
- Soaring Eagles Elementary School -- Colorado Springs
The Centennial State has been somewhat consistent of late when it comes to National Blue Ribbons, with between four and six schools named each year since 2013. Englewood’s St. Mary’s Academy has been named a Blue Ribbon School twice before, in 1992 and 1999. Soaring Eagles in Colorado Springs is also a repeat performer among the 2016 award winners with an acknowledgement from 2009.