Summer classical music festivals in Colorado’s High Country and along the Front Range draw some of the most talented soloists, conductors and orchestra musicians in the world.
CPR Classical host Monika Vischer spoke with Elaine Grant about upcoming highlights in Aspen, Vail and other classical music festivals this summer. CPR Classical will broadcast many concerts from these festivals throughout the summer.
A few of this summer's most exciting classical concerts:
- At the Aspen Music Festival -- which Vischer calls "pure heaven" -- a recital by pianist Jeremy Denk, performing his recently recorded interpretations of Bach's "Goldberg Variations," on July 23.
- At Bravo! Vail, the New York Philharmonic presents an all-Beethoven program July 19 featuring pianist Yefim Bronfman playing the "Emperor" Piano Concerto No. 5.
- The Central City Opera opens its season June 28 with Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro."
- Colorado Music Festival opens its season June 29 at Boulder's Chautauqua Auditorium with Mozart's "Haffner" Symphony No. 35, conducted by Michael Butterman of the Boulder Philharmonic.
Summer classical music festivals in Colorado:
- Aspen Music Festival and School
- Bravo! Vail Music Festival
- Colorado Music Festival in Boulder
- Central City Opera
- Salida Aspen Concerts in Salida
- Strings Music Festival in Steamboat Springs
- Colorado College Summer Music Festival in Colorado Springs
- Crested Butte Music Festival
- Telluride Chamber Music Festival
- Breckenridge Music Festival
- National Repertory Orchestra in Breckenridge