As the year came to a close, CPR's OpenAir put out a call to our musician friends throughout Colorado to celebrate the artists we lost in 2017. More than a dozen answered, and those acts came by the CPR Performance Studio to cover songs by Tom Petty, Grant Hart, Chris Cornell, Chuck Berry and more.
Tune in Friday at 5 p.m. for Dearly Departed: Colorado Remembers 2017, an hour-long special featuring these exclusive performances. The special also airs Monday at 1 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Here’s a list of the artists who participated and the musical legends they celebrated:
Celebrating Chuck Berry
- Jen Korte performs "Maybellene"
Celebrating Larry Coryell
- Joshua Trinidad performs the original composition "For Larry"
Celebrating Gregg Allman and Butch Trucks of The Allman Brothers Band
- Dragondeer performs "One Way Out"
Celebrating William Onyeabor
- Paul DeHaven performs "Good Name"
Celebrating Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit of Can
- Eye And The Arrow, Mark Anderson and Clayton Norman perform "Mushroom"
- Pan Astral performs "Vitamin C"
Celebrating Grant Hart of Hüsker Dü
- Chella Negro of Chella & The Charm performs "Sorry, Somehow"
Celebrating Matt Bellinger of Planes Mistaken For Stars, Ghost Buffalo and Il Cattivo
- Deva Yoder performs "Copper & Stars"
Celebrating Walter Becker of Steely Dan
- Jess Parsons Supergroup performs "Reeling In The Years"
Celebrating Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the Dog
- Tyler Imbrogno of Eldren performs "Black Hole Sun"
Celebrating Tom Petty
- Paul Kimbiris performs "Free Falling"
- Brennan Mackey of King Cardinal, Kyle Emerson and Josh Moorehead of The Guestlist perform "You Don't Know How It Feels"
Hear and see many of these artists performing their original songs: Check out more sessions from the CPR Performance Studio.