- Silverton town leaders resisted Superfund designation in the past. Some feared that it would discourage tourism and investment in the area.Read more
- More than 30 individuals and businesses have filed claims – but most of the requested money comes from only two property owners.Read more
- Some residents are concerned that a Superfund designation could mean a long wait for a cleanup to begin and that banks might balk at lending money to homebuyers and businesses.Read more
- The EPA says a 180-day extension will likely be granted this week to La Plata County and the Southern Ute tribe.Read more
- The measure is intended to encourage cleanups by limiting the liability of groups that try to help.Read more
Silverton has rejected Superfund status in the past. Local leaders say attitudes are shifting, but Silverton's still got a strong independent streak.