- The measure is intended to encourage cleanups by limiting the liability of groups that try to help.Read more
Silverton has rejected Superfund status in the past. Local leaders say attitudes are shifting, but Silverton's still got a strong independent streak.
Intense debate of the topic is expected during a Congressional hearing Wednesday.
The plant is intended to replace a temporary system established to treat nearly 600 gallons of water draining from the mine every minute.
- The EPA released the results Tuesday, two months after farmers and Navajo officials said the water delivered by a contractor contained oil.Read more
- President Russell Begaye says he requested a preliminary damage assessment from the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Thursday.Read more
- The fast pace for the contract is important because temperatures at the mine site can fall so low during winter that it's unsafe to treat the water manually, says the agency.Read more
- Researchers say they found patches of discolored sludge containing elevated levels of iron, copper, zinc, arsenic and lead.Read more