- The Nucla plant will shut down completely, and one unit of the Craig plant will close.Read more
- The U.S. Department of the Interior has announced next steps in its sweeping review of the federal coal leasing program.Read more
- This week's cuts come after a year of furloughs for railroad workers.Read more
- Forest Service officials too support mining in the area because it says North Fork Valley coal is among the cleanest available. That's despite the possibility for millions of dollars in damage.Read more
The five Colorado mines include Colowyo, Bowie No. 2, Foidel Creek, Deserado and West Elk.
Will the the bottom drop out for coal in 2016, or will the slow decline continue?
Arch Coal said it expects mining operations and customer shipments to continue uninterrupted.
Environmental groups have found success in challenging federal coal leases. They hope to further that success in Colorado this year.
- Wednesday's 6-3 vote is a change for the Colorado Springs Utilities Board, which has long defended the coal plant.Read more