- The bill would make $2 million available every year to rural towns or counties that see sudden economic shocks.Read more
- Forest Service officials too support mining in the area because it says North Fork Valley coal is among the cleanest available. That's despite the possibility for millions of dollars in damage.Read more
The five Colorado mines include Colowyo, Bowie No. 2, Foidel Creek, Deserado and West Elk.
Will the the bottom drop out for coal in 2016, or will the slow decline continue?
Arch Coal said it expects mining operations and customer shipments to continue uninterrupted.
Environmental groups have found success in challenging federal coal leases. They hope to further that success in Colorado this year.
- Cultural Office Executive Director Andy Vick says the decision was based on the nonprofit's scant staff and heavy workload.Read more
- The agency's analysis, released Thursday, also says North Fork Valley coal is among the cleanest available.Read more
- Wednesday's 6-3 vote is a change for the Colorado Springs Utilities Board, which has long defended the coal plant.Read more