- The plant's coal is supplied by Deseret's Deserado Mine in Colorado, northeast of Rangely. Bonanza is Deserado's only customer.Read more
- The POWER grant program is intended to help mining areas adjust as the country uses less coal.Read more
Montana has one of the heaviest lifts of any state to comply with the EPA's plan to reduce carbon emissions. But the state is also rich in renewable energy, and the regulations may be a boon to some.
- Assistant Interior Secretary Janice Schneider approved the mining plan for the Colowyo mine near Craig. The move follows a court-ordered environmental review.Read more
A 2013 report says taxpayers should be getting more money from federal coal extraction fees. Local governments say changing the fees will cripple the industry.
- Fees charged for coal extraction on public lands might go up. Some say they're too low and costing states like Colorado big bucks.Read more
- She says the federal goal to reduce carbon emissions by 32 percent over the next 15 years raises "significant concerns for Colorado."Read more
Overall, federal government wants to reduce emissions by 32 percent over the next 15 years. Colorado appears well positioned to meet that goal.