- Assistant Interior Secretary Janice Schneider approved the mining plan for the Colowyo mine near Craig. The move follows a court-ordered environmental review.Read more
A 2013 report says taxpayers should be getting more money from federal coal extraction fees. Local governments say changing the fees will cripple the industry.
- Fees charged for coal extraction on public lands might go up. Some say they're too low and costing states like Colorado big bucks.Read more
- She says the federal goal to reduce carbon emissions by 32 percent over the next 15 years raises "significant concerns for Colorado."Read more
Overall, federal government wants to reduce emissions by 32 percent over the next 15 years. Colorado appears well positioned to meet that goal.
In the final proposal, Obama will unveil measures that are tougher than those in the 2014 draft proposal. The rules seek to curb carbon emissions from power plants by 32 percent by 2030.
- Natural gas-powered electricity surpassed coal-generated electricity during April, traditionally the month of lowest electricity demand.Read more
- Sally Jewell will meet with Moffat County commissioners in Glenwood Springs.Read more
A spokeswoman for the department said that Secretary Jewell's schedule will be released later this week.