Troy Riggs talks with Colorado Matters about issues including police shootings, and abuse cases that have occurred in the Denver Jail.
Denver Jail Abuse
The policy is part of a larger package of reforms the city and sheriff’s department is undertaking to overhaul the once-troubled department.
- The agency has been under heavy criticism after a series of deputy misconduct cases.Read more
- Marshall died in November 2015 after being restrained by Denver sheriff's deputies in jail.Read more
- Marshall died in custody after being restrained by deputies during a "psychotic episode."Read more
- Stephanie O'Malley, executive director of the Department of Safety, said the board was 'undermining our authority' and called the decision "unwarranted."Read more
- The rare court hearing is set for Friday afternoon before District Court Chief Judge Michael Martinez.Read more
- The city plans to announce the hiring of a new sheriff in three to four months.Read more
Meantime, a group of eight staff and city officials are evaluating a 300-page independent report on the troubled department.
The department has been plagued by accusations for years of inmate abuse and mistreatment.