The good news: The mountain pine beetle is back to normal levels. The bad news: The spruce beetle is an active epidemic.
Environmental groups have found success in challenging federal coal leases. They hope to further that success in Colorado this year.
- The jobs will include fire protection, trail management, forestry, engineering, wildlife, recreation, fisheries, archaeology and administrative support work.Read more
- Environmentalists fear potential damage to the environment and wildlife corridor along Middle Boulder Creek that could result from expansion that could include a new detachable six-chair ski lift.Read more
- Climate change has the Forest Service dedicating resources to firefighting at the expense of efforts that prevent fires.Read more
The Forest Service’s current management plan for those two national forests does not include specifics about managing recreational shooting.
The land swap will allow construction of a road to a proposed residential development near the Wolf Creek Ski Area.
- Tom Tidwell is asking the federal government to designate some costly wildfires as natural disasters to make federal funding available.Read more
- The plan would harm the habitat of the threatened Canada lynx, says WildEarth Guardians.Read more