- Wyoming estimates that closing the 1,200 wells already abandoned would cost about $8 million.Read more
Interior spokeswoman Jessica Kershaw says the BLM will abide by the stay and process drilling permits under the pre-existing regulations for now.
The agency also says the controversial drilling technique could affect drinking water if safeguards aren't maintained.
- Terex's wants to use a well north of Mitchell, Neb., to dispose of salty groundwater and chemical-laden fracking wastewater.Read more
- The debate over fracking is "complicated enough without the federal government encroaching on states’ rights," said the state attorney general.Read more
- A final rule released Friday also updates requirements for well construction and disposal of water and other fluids used in fracking.Read more
- Colorado's Rep. Jared Polis sponsored one of the bills, which would create more strict air emissions monitoring for oil and gas operators.Read more