- Wyoming estimates that closing the 1,200 wells already abandoned would cost about $8 million.Read more
Interior spokeswoman Jessica Kershaw says the BLM will abide by the stay and process drilling permits under the pre-existing regulations for now.
The agency also says the controversial drilling technique could affect drinking water if safeguards aren't maintained.
- Terex's wants to use a well north of Mitchell, Neb., to dispose of salty groundwater and chemical-laden fracking wastewater.Read more
- The debate over fracking is "complicated enough without the federal government encroaching on states’ rights," said the state attorney general.Read more
- A final rule released Friday also updates requirements for well construction and disposal of water and other fluids used in fracking.Read more
- Colorado's Rep. Jared Polis sponsored one of the bills, which would create more strict air emissions monitoring for oil and gas operators.Read more
Local governments that impose fracking restrictions would be required pay mineral owners if the regulations reduce their property values by at least 60 percent.