These are the largest cuts and potential impacts in EPA Region 8, which covers Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, Utah, Wyoming and 27 Tribal Nations.
Gold King Mine
Earlier this week, the Trump administration ordered a temporary suspension of EPA contracts and grants. The agencies are sorting through what that means.
- The $10 billion bill passed 360-61 also sets a deadline for the EPA to reimburse local governments for emergency response costs.Read more
- The federal government has a stake in this case because the Environmental Protection Agency accidentally triggered the August 2015 spill at the Gold King Mine.Read more
In lieu of criminal prosecution, a spokesperson said a report will be prepared for the EPA’s top leadership to review.
The EPA called the move "an important step" in getting the resources necessary to further study and clean up the area and downstream communities.
- The EPA hasn't identified the metals or quantities that were released in the incident Tuesday near the Gold King Mine.Read more
- The Navajo Nation on Tuesday joined New Mexico in pursuing legal action against the EPA.Read more
- The agency made the announcement Friday, the anniversary of the blowout at the Gold King Mine.Read more
For decades some Westerners have tried to make it easier to clean up thousands of abandoned mines, but a solution remains elusive.