Gold King Mine
"New Mexico and its citizens are now paying the price" of last year's mine spill near Silverton, that state's attorney general says.
- Steve Way oversaw operations at the mine, but was on vacation when an EPA-led crew inadvertently triggered the 3-million-gallon spill on Aug. 5.Read more
- The EPA has received only seven comments opposing the planned cleanup in southwestern Colorado, including the Gold King Mine.Read more
- New Mexico wants the federal government to pay as much as $155 million for problems caused by the spill in southwest Colorado last August.Read more
- The measure comes after the Gold King Mine spill last August, when state officials were limited in how they could help.Read more
- An EPA-led cleanup crew triggered a 3-million-gallon spill from the Gold King Mine in August.Read more
- The Mountain Studies Institute in Silverton monitored the Animas River about 60 miles downstream from the mine for the EPA.Read more
The document orders EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy or assistant administrator Mathy Stanislaus to testify at a April 22 hearing in Phoenix.