Gold King Mine
- The agency made the announcement Friday, the anniversary of the blowout at the Gold King Mine.Read more
For decades some Westerners have tried to make it easier to clean up thousands of abandoned mines, but a solution remains elusive.
Nearly 70 individuals and businesses across Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and the Navajo Nation have filled out financial claims with the EPA.
One government report estimates 33,000 hard rock abandoned mines are causing environmental problems across the West.
- The release polluted rivers in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, including the San Juan River on Navajo land.Read more
"New Mexico and its citizens are now paying the price" of last year's mine spill near Silverton, that state's attorney general says.
- Steve Way oversaw operations at the mine, but was on vacation when an EPA-led crew inadvertently triggered the 3-million-gallon spill on Aug. 5.Read more
- The EPA has received only seven comments opposing the planned cleanup in southwestern Colorado, including the Gold King Mine.Read more
- New Mexico wants the federal government to pay as much as $155 million for problems caused by the spill in southwest Colorado last August.Read more