Gold King Mine
Intense debate of the topic is expected during a Congressional hearing Wednesday.
The plant is intended to replace a temporary system established to treat nearly 600 gallons of water draining from the mine every minute.
- The EPA released the results Tuesday, two months after farmers and Navajo officials said the water delivered by a contractor contained oil.Read more
- The spill happened at the Standard Mine Superfund cleanup site, which is located near a creek that helps supply water to Crested Butte.Read more
- President Russell Begaye says he requested a preliminary damage assessment from the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Thursday.Read more
- The fast pace for the contract is important because temperatures at the mine site can fall so low during winter that it's unsafe to treat the water manually, says the agency.Read more
- The New Mexico Democrat says it's a response to the torrent of toxic wastewater from the Gold King Mine.Read more
- The New Mexico Democrat's office says the legislation would require water quality monitoring of the Animas and San Juan rivers.Read more