Gold King Mine
- The fast pace for the contract is important because temperatures at the mine site can fall so low during winter that it's unsafe to treat the water manually, says the agency.Read more
- The New Mexico Democrat says it's a response to the torrent of toxic wastewater from the Gold King Mine.Read more
- The New Mexico Democrat's office says the legislation would require water quality monitoring of the Animas and San Juan rivers.Read more
- Researchers say they found patches of discolored sludge containing elevated levels of iron, copper, zinc, arsenic and lead.Read more
- That information came up during a joint congressional hearing on Thursday.Read more
Sen. Cory Gardner led questioning of the EPA's response to the mine spill.
The EPA says wastewater is still spilling out of the mine at about 600 gallons per minute.
- Work has stopped at four Colorado mines following the August blowout.Read more
Republicans accused the EPA of not scrutinizing its own actions as closely it would a similar incident caused by private enterprise.