Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke announced the new strategy for the ground-dwelling bird that has suffered a dramatic population decline across its 11-state range.
greater sage grouse
- A coalition of northwest Colorado counties is seeking funding for a project to map greater sage grouse in the region.Read more
- Gunnison County, which is home to another species of the bird, says it did plenty of work to avoid federal protections that were imposed anyway.Read more
Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell says nearly 100 separate but related management plans pave an important path forward for the bird.
- "To say it takes a village is a gross understatement,” said U.S. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell.Read more
The move prevents millions of acres of grouse habitat across 11 western states from scrutiny under the lens of the ESA.
- The government faces a Sept. 30 deadline to decide whether it should list the chicken-sized birds as a threatened or endangered species.Read more
- The state doesn't want the greater sage grouse to be protected under the federal Endangered Species Act.Read more