Wildfires can make creeks and rivers boiling hot and clogged with debris, turning habitats fatal for aquatic species.
Hayden Pass Fire
Biologists believe these trout were here before settlers stocked the state’s rivers with Rainbow, Brown and Brook trout in the late 1800’s.
- But firefighters are letting parts of the fire burn because it is too dangerous to get into some wilderness areas.Read more
- Many homeowners were briefly allowed back to check on their homes Friday morning.Read more
- Greg Policky with Colorado Parks and Wildlife says the fish in a 3-mile stretch of Hayden Creek are "one of a kind."Read more
- The fire, which has forced the evacuation of about 100 homes, will likely burn for some timeRead more
- The Hayden Pass Fire more than doubled in size to about 19 square miles on Monday and hasn't been contained at all.Read more