Nigeria has accepted a U.S. offer to send a team that could help in the search for 276 girls who were abducted from a school last month, the State Department said today.
State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki said during her daily briefing that Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan had “welcomed” an offer for help that Secretary of State John Kerry made during a phone call today.
Psaki said the “coordination cell” would head to Nigeria to “discuss how the U.S. can best support Nigeria in its response.” The team, Psaki said, could help with intelligence, investigations and hostage negotiations, and will be made up of an interdisciplinary team including law enforcement and military personnel.
As we’ve reported, Jonathan’s government has been criticized for its inability to find the girls. Boko Haram, a militant Islamist group, claimed responsibility for the abductions on Monday.
In a video, the group’s leader vowed to “sell them in the market.”
Earlier today, Bill reported that about 200 armed militants in 20 pickup trucks are thought to be responsible for the abductions. Witnesses said the men were in uniform and said they were soldiers.
You are one of the CPR readers who wants to know what is really going on these days. We can help you keep up - The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!