6 Dead In Shooting At Quebec City Mosque

January 30, 2017

Police in Quebec City have arrested two suspects following a shooting at a mosque there, which killed six and wounded eight.

According to eyewitnesses, gunmen opened fired in Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre around 8 p.m., where about 40 people were gathered for evening prayers.

“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui said to reporters.

Yangui was not inside the mosque when the shooting occurred but said he received frantic calls from many who were inside at the time of the gunfire.

Says Reuters:

“Incidents of Islamophobia have increased in Quebec in recent years. In 2013, police investigated after a mosque in the Saguenay region of Quebec was splattered with what was believed to be pig blood.”

In fact, as recent as last June, during the holy month of Ramadan, as the CBC reported, someone also left a pig’s head at said Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center.

Late Sunday night Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeal has called the shooting a “terrorist attack on Muslims.” Earlier on, he’d tweeted his condolences:

“Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families.”

Meantime, Quebec police say the situation is under control, tweeting “mosque premises secured, occupants have been evacuated.”

Copyright 2017 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.