Aspen Music Festival and School unveiled details of its 2017 season today. The festival’s 69th summer will feature hundreds of performances by orchestras, chamber musicians and other well-regarded musicians.
In addition to attracting some of the world’s top classical players, the festival’s school mentors outstanding music students each summer. The school’s alumni include musicians like soprano Renee Fleming, violinist Gil Shaham, cellist Alisa Weilerstein and bassist Edgar Meyer, to name a few.
There are many enticing performances on the calendar. A few notable events:
- July 19: Violinist Sarah Chang plays Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” in a Harris Concert Hall recital.
- July 30: Soprano Renee Fleming performs with the Aspen Festival Orchestra.
- Aug. 5: Guitarist Sharon Isbin plays Rodrigo’s Concerto de Aranjuez and a new concerto by Chris Brubeck.
- Aug. 10: The American String Quartet performs a song cycle by composer Mohammed Fairouz.
- Aug. 20: Music director Spano conducts the season finale, featuring “The Damnation of Faust” by Hector Berlioz.
View the festival's calendar for more, and watch for details soon on which Aspen Music Festival concerts will air this summer on CPR Classical.
View the 2017 summer schedule for Boulder’s Colorado Music Festival, which announced its lineup last week.