The Morning Editor kickstarts the newsroom in the morning, identifying, assigning and implementing daily coverage for CPR News; and works with newsroom leadership to set and execute overall coverage priorities for CPR's audience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, assign and edit daily content including digital stories, newscast material, quick turn features and two-ways.
- Work with reporters and hosts to develop engaging and relevant daily content for CPR’s audience through two-ways and news spots, as well as online stories, while coordinating resources closely with the news director and the editorial team.
- Set and manage deadlines for this content (immediate digital stories, quick turn features, two-ways, newscasts).
- Prepare and share the daily news lineup with the newsroom and other content partners in a timely manner through daybooks and content sharing tools.
- Work as primary editor of The Lookout, CPR News’ daily email newsletter.
- Work with hosts and technical staff to make editorial decisions about NPR’s on-air segments.
- Write daily promo material for use on-air.
- Take primary responsibility for ensuring news hosts have timely, sufficient and thoughtful newscast material. Assigns work to and edits work of reporters throughout the newsroom to accomplish this.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Experience with breaking news, meeting deadlines, and management strongly desired.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within the newsroom and across departments.
Position works an early schedule, starting at 5:30am. Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in CPR's downtown Denver newsroom.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Morning Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity