Colorado has lots of potential when it comes to community voices and topics for innovative stories. At Colorado Public Radio, we’ve had recent success with several projects including On Something, our podcast about marijuana legalization, which found a national audience. We’re looking for producers who will help us reach new audiences around the country and tell compelling stories in news, culture and music.
The Podcast Producer for CPR’s new Audio Innovations Studio will help shape audio content for podcasts and other creative projects. We are looking for a producer who’s passionate, detail-oriented and versatile. We want someone to produce creative audio -- much of it growing out of CPR’s robust newsroom and enterprising, factual journalism -- that matters to listeners in Colorado and throughout the U.S. This position will work with a variety of collaborators throughout Colorado Public Radio as well as contributors from outside CPR.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with editors and producers in Audio Innovations, CPR’s music services, and CPR News to create longform stories, roundtable discussion shows and other creative projects
- Work with hosts, journalists and community members with a range of experience as the voice of an audio product
- Bring fresh ideas to new and existing audio in a highly collaborative environment
- Pitch and help shape stories and projects in the planning stage
- Manage interviews: vet guests, think about story structure, script questions, record interviews, coach hosts and log interviews
- Take the lead on scripting: Review and compile audio, structure features, draft and revise scripts with input from hosts and editors
- Make audio sing: edit tape under guidance from Senior Editor, create basic mixes of episodes and features, deliver high-quality productions on deadline
- Produce non-podcast audio for smart speakers, promotional trailers and other platforms
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least 2 years’ audio production experience required
- Podcast production is highly desirable, preferably in a journalistic setting
- Meticulous attention to detail in cleaning and editing audio and fine-tuning mixes
- Experience capturing high-quality scene tape and interview audio while in the field
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback in a collaborative environment
- Experience guiding a piece through multiple stages of editing and revision
- Passionate about using audio to highlight new voices and reach new audiences that aren’t always served by traditional radio
- Adobe Audition or similar audio editing software
Nonstandard work hours required from time to time. Position will split time between our headquarters in Centennial, CO, and our newsroom in downtown Denver.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with "Podcast Producer" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity