The Topics Editor/Arts and Regions will generate radio features and newscast spots, and innovative digital storytelling from our experienced reporters on Arts and Culture coverage, and our regional reporters in Western and Southern Colorado. Our Arts and Regional coverage are important facets of our growing newsroom. The ideal candidate will have experience generating engaging content across multiple platforms, be able to inspire the team’s reporters to even greater storytelling and play an important role on the News leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and directs reporters to provide consistent content, making the best use of radio and digital-first material. Ensures all staff are evaluated following the principles established under CPR’s performance management process.
- Establishes with department managers compensation for staff (within established organizational compensation parameters with VP Human Resources for final review by Senior VP Programming).
- Assigns and edits radio features, newscast spots and digital content related to Arts, Culture, Entertainment, as well as regional stories from across Colorado, and other news, paying attention to newsroom coverage standards and productivity goals.
- Evaluates features and daily news spots after they air/publish, and works with reporters to improve their reporting techniques and storytelling as appropriate.
- Ensures reporters are focusing on significant topics that support the overall direction of CPR News and meet our standards for journalistic excellence.
- Sets and manages deadlines for this content, taking into account digital needs, and communicating fully with the newsroom. Also, coordinates with CPR News’ interview program, Colorado Matters, to arrange reporter contributions to the show.
- This position is the Friday afternoon newscast editor.
- Prepares and shares monthly coverage storytelling plans with editorial team, and suggests daily news items in daily editorial meetings.
- Leads occasional special projects.
- Coaches reporters on creative ways to tell stories on radio and digital; sets goals with staff and makes sure professional development needs are met.
- As part of the News leadership team, contributes to strategy and direction of CPR News and fills in for colleagues as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Minimum of five years of strong journalism experience with features editing, breaking news, meeting deadlines, and management experience strongly desired.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrable track record of managing beat coverage with focus on enterprise as well as breaking exclusive stories.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in Denver.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with "Topics Editor/Arts and Regions" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity