When the staff at CPR Classical picked its favorite releases of 2015, plenty of the music came from Colorado artists. Those making the list compiled by Music Director Jeff Zumfelde and other staffers include:
- The Colorado Symphony, performing music by Stephen Hough and Ralph Vaughan Williams.
- The Sphere Ensemble, a 13-member string group that released a debut disc in September.
- The Boulder-based Takacs Quartet, whose disc recently received a Grammy nomination.
- Banjo player Jake Schepps, who asked several composers to write contemporary classical pieces for his five-member bluegrass band. Schepps spoke with Colorado Matters in February about the project earlier and played some of the music in the CPR Performance Studio.
- Violist Geraldine Walther and pianist David Korevaar, who recorded music by composer Paul Hindemith.
- Roomful of Teeth, a vocal ensemble that gave memorable concerts in Denver and Vail this year. They spoke with CPR Classical and sang in the CPR Performance Studio earlier this year.
View CPR Classical's full Best of 2015 list and click the audio above to hear Colorado Matters host Ryan Warner speak with Zumfelde.