2016 Colorado Legislature
A Senate committee heard hours of stories of heartache and loss as they took up a bill that would give certain convicts a chance at freedom.
- Only state residents can invest in the pot stores and grows and edible makers right now. That has stymied marijuana businesses trying to expand.Read more
The governor says he hopes that Colorado would move up on the calendar of presidential nominating contests.
- The legislation targets edibles shaped like a human, an animal, or a fruit.Read more
Unhappiness among both parties with the caucuses this year gives the bill's supporters optimism for change.
- Senators gave the measure unanimous approval.Read more
- CCA runs the Kit Carson Correctional Center in Burlington. It says it needs the money to avoid closing the facility because the number of inmates there is dropping.Read more
- The bill doesn’t change criminal penalties that are already on the books for these crimes. But it imposes stiffer restitution requirements.Read more
The full legislature will give the budget a final vote soon -- a formality before it heads to the governor’s desk.