Gold King Mine
- The community’s emergency relief fund has received only $14,000 to help victims of the spill.Read more
Workers were delayed in issuing a warning about the spill because they were trying to escape it, documents say.
- Workers were delayed in issuing a warning about the spill because they were trying to escape it, documents say.Read more
An agency report also found that "underestimation of the water pressure" in the mine was likely the most significant factor relating to the blowout.
It's a reversal for local officials who long feared that designation as a federal Superfund site would harm economic development.
- The documents show that the EPA knew about the potential for a blow out last summer.Read more
- Shiprock Chapter President Duane "Chili" Yazzie says Friday's unanimous decision by more than 100 farmers was heart-wrenchingRead more
- The Interior Department will lead a review of the Colorado mine spill that tainted rivers in three western states.Read more
In his regular conversation with CPR News, Hickenlooper also discussed the death penalty and his leanings in the Democratic presidential race
While the EPA and its contractors triggered the Gold King blowout, the agency is far from the only party responsible for the accident.