Gold King Mine
- Colorado Republican Rep. Doug Lamborn supports a trio of bills that would provide incentives and make it legally feasible for private groups to clean up abandoned mines.Read more
- The EPA says a 180-day extension will likely be granted this week to La Plata County and the Southern Ute tribe.Read more
- The measure is intended to encourage cleanups by limiting the liability of groups that try to help.Read more
Silverton has rejected Superfund status in the past. Local leaders say attitudes are shifting, but Silverton's still got a strong independent streak.
Intense debate of the topic is expected during a Congressional hearing Wednesday.
The plant is intended to replace a temporary system established to treat nearly 600 gallons of water draining from the mine every minute.
- The EPA released the results Tuesday, two months after farmers and Navajo officials said the water delivered by a contractor contained oil.Read more
- The spill happened at the Standard Mine Superfund cleanup site, which is located near a creek that helps supply water to Crested Butte.Read more