With a reputation for experimentation, the Denver Beer Company is one Colorado craft brewery challenging traditional winter seasonal recipes. Co-founder and brewer Charlie Berger shares this 5-gallon recipe for 'Tis the Saison for home brewers.
- 9 1/2 pounds Pilsner malt
- 2/5 pounds Crystal Rye
- 3 1/10 pounds torrified wheat
- 1 1/2 ounces of Styrian Goldings hop
- Belgian Saison II yeast (WLP No. 566)
- HBC No. 291 (or Sorachi Ace)
- 1/4 ounce peppermint
- 1/4 ounce spearmint
- Mash Pilsner malt, Crystal Rye and torrified wheat at 151 degress for one hour.
- Collect to a pre-boil gravity of 1.052.
- Boil for 60 minutes.
- Add Styrian Goldings hop at 60 minutes.
- Ferment with Belgian Saison II yeast at 73 degrees.
- Dry hop with HBC No. 291 (or Sorachi Ace).
- Steep peppermint and spearmint in a tea and add post-fermentation to taste.
- Crash, carbonate and serve