- The 1921 flood in Pueblo took the lives of hundreds and changed the course of the city's history. One hundred years later, the political and economic effects can still be felt.
- Colorado Springs' housing boom is expanding into nearby cities, like Fountain. But new homes require water — and there are currently fewer than 9,000 taps to Fountain’s water supply.
- This year, when it comes time for the fireworks show, viewers can tune in to a number of radio stations in the area to hear the holiday’s patriotic fanfare. The musicians from the Colorado Springs Philharmonic say because of a labor dispute with management, it won’t be theirs.
- Most of Colorado’s congressional delegation — everyone, except Rep. Lauren Boebert — wants Vice President Kamala Harris to visit the state and check out its space Industry.
- Another Coloradan has been arrested for allegedly storming the U.S. Capitol on January 6. Timothy Wayne Williams, 38, of Trinidad was arrested Friday for being part of the mob that forcefully entered the Capitol as Congress was certifying the results of the presidential election. Williams is charged with several crimes, according to the U.S.
- Peak Past is a weekly segment written and voiced by Matt Cavanaugh Ph.D, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army and Senior Fellow at the Modern War Institute at West Point. Cavanaugh is a resident of Manitou Springs where he lives with his wife and two young children.
- Repairs to bring the 2.8-mile long levee up to current FEMA standards began in 2014 and cost some $25 million.
- On June 3, 1921, raging waters unleashed by torrential rains and snowmelt broke through Pueblo’s Arkansas River levees, causing one of the deadliest and most destructive floods in Colorado’s history.
KRCC's New Home
KRCC and Colorado Public Radio are transforming a building in downtown Colorado Springs into a state-of-the-art space. Learn more about the Southern Colorado Public Media Center.
Sign Up For Our Newsletters
Our newsletters bring you a closer look at the Southern Colorado stories that affect you and the music that inspires you.