- The Hermits Peak fire and Calf Canyon fire are subsuming lands that were inhabited long before either Colorado or New Mexico was a U.S. state.
- The Cripple Creek Care Center is closing in June after nearly half a century in operation. It's one of the nearly 400 nursing homes throughout the U.S. facing closure this year as a direct result of staffing shortages.
- The El Paso County Coroner's Office confirmed the death, but is not releasing any more information at this time.
- Joshua Scott Allen was arrested and charged with "Firing Woods or Prairie," a class 6 felony.
- The fire spread into southeast Colorado Springs, forcing the evacuation of about 50 homes and shutting down the Colorado Springs airport for several hours.
- A federal Department of Defense report has found that former President Donald Trump’s decision to move the Space Command Headquarters from Colorado to Alabama was “reasonable.” But Colorado lawmakers say another report due out soon may still turn up flaws in the process.
- The new effort has come under sharp criticism from conservatives who claim it will be used to quash dissent.
- Road closures have been issued.
KRCC's New Home
KRCC and Colorado Public Radio are transforming a building in downtown Colorado Springs into a state-of-the-art space. Learn more about the Southern Colorado Public Media Center.
Sign Up For Our Newsletters
Our newsletters bring you a closer look at the Southern Colorado stories that affect you and the music that inspires you.