Colorado Music Hall of Fame inductee Lannie Garrett's love story begins in 2006. That's when she opened her downtown Denver nightclub Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret. Garrett says Daniel Brogan, who is president and editor-in-chief of 5280 Publishing, Inc., asked if he could help in anyway because he understood how difficult it can be to start a new business.
They got married in 2011.
More recently, Garrett has experienced another major change in her life. She sold her stake in her club last year -- it's now simply The Clocktower Cabaret. But this is by no means a retirement. Garret says it felt like the right time to move on, and she wanted to travel more and find the head space for other projects.
“It’s not easy running a club,” Garrett told CPR News. “It’s takes a lot of time and investment.”
What has the Denver chanteuse been up to lately? Garrett sat down with Colorado Matters host Ryan Warner to talk about what's next, as well as reflect on her long performing career. And, because it's Valentine's Day, Garrett talked about falling in love.
Garrett's all-time favorite love songs:
- "The Way You Look Tonight" performed by jazz vocalist Tony Bennett
- "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan
- "Feels Like Home," version performed by American singer/guitarist Raúl Malo.
- "The Look of Love" by Dusty Springfield
- "Ribbon in the Sky" by Stevie Wonder
- "More Than You Know," version sung by Kenny Rankin
- "I Want You" sung by by Marvin Gaye
- "I Will" by The Beatles
- "Crazy Love" by Van Morrison
- "Let it be Me" by Everly Brothers
- "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" sung by the Mills Brothers
- "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" by Donny Hathaway
- "The Nearness of You"
- 1950s romantic ballad "You Belong to Me"