John Darnielle, the primary member of literate indie band The Mountain Goats, has announced he will release his debut novel "The Wolf in White" this fall via publisher Farrar, Strauss & Giroux. Editor Sean McDonald writes:
"The greatest and perhaps most unexpected satisfaction is the quality that encompasses all these things, that this is simply a magnificent novel, weird and dark and wonderful, adventurous and spellbinding in the way of any great piece of literary art."
Scottish indie pop veterans Belle & Sebastian have provided the score for a UK television show titled "The Dog Thrower." The show stars Matthew Perry and details "the story of a man who finds fame, then infamy, when he starts throwing his dog." The series is set to debut in May. [via Pitchfork]
New music releases
A large number of notable artists announced new music releases this week. They include:
- tUne-yArDs, the experimental music project of Merrill Garbus, will release third album "Nikki Nack" on May 6
- Minneapolis rap group Atmosphere announced new album "The Family Sign," out April 12
- Klaxons will release their third album "Love Frequency," on June 2
- Former Husker Du frontman Bob Mould will release "Beauty Ruin" on June 3
- The Fresh & Onlys will release their fifth full-length "House of Spirits" on June 10
FLASH/LIGHTS changes name to Rose Quartz
Denver electropop band FLASH/LIGHTS is no more. Rather, the duo will now be known as Rose Quartz, and will debut as such at this year's SXSW Festival, where they will perform at the Colorado Music Party, among other showcases.