This spring I'm taking Mile High Noon on the road to travel around our community and get to know what Colorado music you're listening to. It's a weekly Guest DJ series where listeners get to choose the music, with one condition: you have to teach me something in return!
Back in February, Denver-based coffee company Huckleberry Roasters created a Colorado Public Radio Blend of coffee for our Winter pledge drive. One of the co-owners, Mark Mann, came by the studio to host a tasting for the CPR staff, and it was such a good cup of coffee that I reached out to him to help me kick off this series.
I also want to mention that I first met Mark in 2012 not as a coffee guy, but as the manager of the band Princess Music when the group came into the CPR Performance Studio. He still represents the band while being a coffee boss. Koan Goedman co-owns Huckleberry Roasters too and is the master of the pour over!
Time to PREP, BREW, TASTE while my guests choose five songs!
THE POUR OVER: How to make the famous Huckleberry Roaster's pour over in 8 easy steps:
Here's what you need: Freshly ground beans, timer, kitchen scale, spoon, Hario V60 pour over, paper filter, mug
- Boil Water
- Rinse filter and warm vessel
- Place 17 grams medium to fine grind into filter, then level with a shake
- Place on mug and zero scale
- Start clock and pour 60 grams water
- Agitate grounds with spoon
- At 0:20 seconds slowly, but steadily pour to 270 grams
- Stir and let drain for 2 1/2 minutes
- A Mouthful of Thunder - "A Little Haze"
- Bad Weather California - "I'll Reach Out My Hand"
- Inner Oceans - "I Don't Mind"
- Princess Music - "White Wave"
- John Denver - "Take Me Home Country Roads"
Thanks to Huckleberry Roasters for the hospitality and for sharing their perfect brew method!