Young Fathers win the 2014 Barclaycard Mercury Prize
Scotland-based hip-hop group Young Fathers were announced as the winners of the 2014 Barclaycard Mercury Prize, an annual award given to for "Best British Album" as determined by a panel of musicians, critics and industry figures.
The group, whose members hail from Liberia, Nigeria and the U.S., earned the prize for debut album "Dead," beating out fellow nominees FKA twigs, Damon Albarn and Bombay Bicycle Club.
The Decemberists announce new album for 2015
Portland indie rockers The Decemberists have announced the follow-up to Grammy-nominated 2011 album "The King is Dead." "What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World," the group's seventh studio album, is out next January.
Frontman Colin Meloy announced the album by busking on a New York City street in front of a mural bearing the record's cover art. [via Pitchfork]
"Inside Llewyn Davis" live album to feature Jack White, Conor Oberst, Elvis Costello
Earlier this year, film directors the Coen Brothers hosted a concert based on the music featured in their 2013 "Inside Llewyn Davis." That event hosted performances from Jack White, Conor Oberst, Elvis Costello, The Avett Brothers and more performing a selection of folk standards featured on the film's soundtrack along with original material.
The concert will be released as a live two-disc album on January 13 via Nonesuch Records. [via Consequence of Sound]
- Punch Brothers: "Tumbling Tumbleweed"
- Punch Brothers: "Rye Whiskey"
- Gillian Welch: "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"
- Gillian Welch & David Rawlings: "The Way It Goes"
- Willie Watson: "The Midnight Special"
- Dave Rawlings Machine: "I Hear Them All/This Land Is Your Land"
- The Milk Carton Kids: "New York"
- Secret Sisters: "Tomorrow Will Be Kinder"
- Lake Street Dive: "You Go Down Smooth"
- Elvis Costello, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver: "Please Mr. Kennedy"
- Conor Oberst: "Four Strong Winds"
- Conor Oberst: "Man Named Truth"
- Colin Meloy: "Blues Run the Game"
- Joan Baez, Colin Meloy, and Gillian Welch: "Joe Hill"
- The Avett Brothers: "All My Mistakes"
- The Avett Brothers: "That's How I Got to Memphis"
- The Avett Brothers: "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise"
- Jack White: "Mama's Angel Child"
- Jack White: "Did You Hear John Hurt?"
- Jack White: "We're Going to Be Friends"
- Rhiannon Giddens: "Waterboy"
- Rhiannon Giddens: "'S iomadh rud tha dhith orm/Ciamar a ni mi 'n dannsa direach"
- Oscar Isaac: "Hang Me, Oh Hang Me"
- Oscar Isaac: "Green, Green Rocky Road"
- Keb' Mo': "Tomorrow Is a Long Time"
- Bob Neuwirth: "Rock Salt and Nails"
- Chris Thile, Chris Eldridge, Paul Kowert, Marcus Mumford, Noam Pikelny, and Gabe Witcher: "The Auld Triangle"
- Gillian Welch, Rhiannon Giddens, and Carey Mulligan: "Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby"
- Elvis Costello and Joan Baez: "Which Side Are You On?"
- Joan Baez: "House of the Rising Sun"
- Marcus Mumford and Joan Baez: "Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry"
- Marcus Mumford: "I Was Young When I Left Home"
- Oscar Isaac and Marcus Mumford: Fare Thee Well "(Dink's Song)"
- Marcus Mumford and the Punch Brothers: "Farewell"
You made it!
You love learning about new music and the Denver music scene. We have a weekly newsletter for you -- Inside Track. Sign up here to stay in the know about the hottest Colorado concerts and how you can score tickets!