At 5:59 a.m. on Oct. 31, 2011, OpenAir played Paper Bird's "Colorado"—and Colorado Public Radio introduced Colorado's new destination for local music discovery.
"Since that Halloween launch, it's been three-plus years of connecting our listeners to a wealth of current music and to the Colorado music scene, and managing to have some fun in the process," says OpenAir Program Director Mike Flanagan.
This year, OpenAir is set to start broadcasting at 102.3 FM on Jan. 27. Listeners in Denver and Boulder will enjoy improved quality and accessibility, as they discover new and local music. OpenAir will continue to stream online and simulcast on 1340 AM.
Since that inaugural Halloween, OpenAir has welcomed hundreds of bands—many with local ties—to the CPR Performance Studio to record music and share insight. In this way, CPR has given local bands a gathering place and a public voice.
Supporting musicians and forging meaningful partnerships, OpenAir has become a fixture in the Colorado music community and helped put it on the national map.
What’s behind OpenAir:
- Nearly 300 performance studio sessions, available on YouTube
- 12 episodes of "OpenAir Live & Local" on Colorado Public Television, resulting in 3 feature CDs
- More than 70 downloads of the week
- Weekly Top 30 album picks
- More than 60 CD reviews
- More than 20 concert reviews
- More than 100 blog posts with timely info, guides and updates
- 3 years of partnership with the Underground Music Showcase
- 7 music experts dedicated to connecting listeners with local music