Welcome to all the OpenAir listeners on 102.3 FM!
Whether this is your your first day on the music safari, or you've been with us through the AM jungle, here's a quick introduction to your OpenAir guides!
Keefer Fulgham: Production and CPR Performance Studio guide
- Shift: Mon-Fri 6 a.m.-10 a.m.
- Twitter handle: @openairkeefer
- Title: Morning Show host, Performance Studio Session Director, Production Director
- Recent / Iconic albums: "Exile on Main Street" - Rolling Stones, "Blood on the Tracks" - Bob Dylan, "A Love Supreme" - John Coltrane, "Class Clown" -George Carlin, "King Of The Delta Singers" - Robert Johnson
- Colorado artists: Nathaniel Rateliff, Dragondeer, Heroin Ham Sandwich
- Recent / Iconic movies: "Pulp Fiction," "Cool Hand Luke," "Apocalypse Now," "Rushmore"
- Recent / Iconic books: "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas" - Hunter S. Thompson, "Post Office" - Charles Bukowski, "Goldfinch" - Donna Tartt, "Dispatches" - Michael Herr
- Heroes: Hunter S. Thompson, Keith Richards, George Carlin, my mother and grandmother
- Food: I love meat. Anything hot and spicy. And popcorn. I could eat it everyday.
- Teams: '72 Miami Dolphins
- Strangest radio moment: My lawyers have advise me to plead the 5th. Statute of limitations has not run out on some of those moments.
- Words to live by: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Alisha Sweeney: Colorado music and social media guide
- Shift: Mon-Fri 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Twitter handle: @openairalisha
- Title: Midday host, Colorado Music Coordinator
- Recent / Iconic albums: RECENT- Ex Hex - "Rips," Spoon - "They Want My Soul," Alt-J - "This Is All Yours," ICONIC- David Bowie - "Hunky Dory," Pixies - "Doolittle," Yo La Tengo - "Electr-O-Pura"
- Colorado bands: From Warlock Pinchers to The Czars, and Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats, my love runs deep for local music through the decades. Also, all bands related to Mike Marchant, Julie Davis and Josh Trinidad.
- Recent / Iconic Movies: RECENT- "God Help the Girl" and "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night"; ICONIC- "Valley Girl" and "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains"
- Recent / Iconic Books: RECENT- "The Art of Asking" by Amanda Palmer and "Yes, Please" by Amy Poehler; ICONIC- "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
- Heroes: John Peel, Terry Gross, Jenny Lewis, Lou Reed, Bill Murray, John Waters, Miss Piggy, Mark Mothersbaugh
- Food: Avocado toast.
- Teams: The Go! Team and "Team Boo" by Mates of State.
- Strangest radio moment: When a listener rode his adult Hot Wheels all the way to the studio and into the air room to ask me out on a date.
- Words to live by: "Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Jessi Whitten: Music director guide
- Shift: Mon-Fri 2-4 p.m.
- Twitter handle: @openairjessi
- Title: Music Director / Assistant Program Director
- Recent / Iconic albums: Perfume Genius - "Too Bright"; Chet faker - "Built on Glass"; Angel Olsen - "Burn Your Fire for No Witness"; The Magnetic Fields - "69 Love Songs"; David Bowie - "Hunky Dory"; Cyndi Lauper - "She's So Unusual"
- Colorado artists: Hot IQs, The Knew, The Blue Rider, Snake Rattle Rattle Snake
- Recent / Iconic Movies: "Frank," "Harold and Maude," "Finnian's Rainbow"
- Favorite Writers: Maggie Estep, Christopher Durang, Philip Roth
- Heroes: Amy Poehler, my high school speech coach, Dolly Parton
- Food: Ramen, Dim sum
- Strangest radio moment: When a fan sent me a homemade painting of a Smurf holding a dagger.
- Words to live by: "If you don't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else?" - RuPaul
Mike Flanagan: Program director guide
- Shift: Mon-Fri 4-6 p.m., Retrofit 5 p.m. Saturday
- Title: Program Director
- Twitter handle: @openairmike
- Recent / Iconic Albums: "Lazaretto," "Content Nausea," "Benjamin Booker," "Astral Weeks," "Blonde on Blonde," "Exile on Main Street," "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot," "The Velvet Underground and Nico," "Aladdin Sane"
- Colorado artists: Ian Cooke, Esme Patterson, Wheelchair Sports Camp, Nathaniel Rateliff, Kissing Party, Tennis, Snake Rattle Rattle Snake, A. Tom Collins, Chimney Choir, so many more!
- Recent / Iconic Movies: "Boyhood," "Nightcrawler," "Still Alice," "O Lucky Man," "Boogie Nights," "Goodfellas," "Summer Lovers," "The Last Picture Show," "This is Spinal Tap"
- Recent / Iconic Books: "The Goldfinch," "The History of Rock and Roll in Ten Songs," "Last Train to Memphis," "Catcher in the Rye," "Slaughterhouse Five," "The Velveteen Rabbit"
- Heroes: Lenny Bruce, John Lennon, Maya Angelou, Joe Don Looney, Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- Food: Indian cuisine, chili, mulligatawny, hot and sour
- Teams: Broncos, Sooners, Buffs, Rams
- Strangest radio moment: While I read the news the GM's dog had puppies on my feet.
- Words to live by: "Expect the unexpected." "Don't panic."
(Photo: CPR/Daniel Mescher)Aaron 'Ukelele Loki' Johnson: Production guide
- Shift: Saturdays and Sundays 8 a.m. - noon
- Twitter handle: (coming soon...)
- Title: Fundraising Production Coordinator / Host
- Recent / Iconic albums: "Loaded," The Velvet Underground; "Violent Femmes," Violent Femmes; "Aerial Ballet," Harry Nilsson; "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea," Neutral Milk Hotel; "Fear of a Black Planet," Public Enemy; "Fate," Dr. Dog; "This is My Hand," My Brightest Diamond
- Colorado bands: Ian Cooke, Halden Woffard and the Hi Beams, Chimney Choir, Wheelchair Sports Camp
- Iconic Movies: "Babe," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Harold and Maude," "You Can't Take it with You"
- Recent / Iconic Books: "Jitterbug Perfume," by Tom Robbins; "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare"; "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian," by Sherman Alexie; "A Hard Day's Write," by Steve Turner
- Heroes: Alice Humphrey Jensen (my Grandma), Pete Seeger, Jim Henson, John Lennon & Yoko Ono
- Food: All, but especially brunch.
- Teams: Gryffindor, The Guardians of the Galaxy, The Fellowship, Buffy and her Slayerettes
- Words to live by: "When we speak, we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak." - Audre Lord
Scott Carney: Promotions guide
- Shift: Saturdays 1-4 p.m., Sundays 2-5 p.m.
- Twitter handle: @OpenAirScott
- Title: Promotions Coordinator / Music Librarian
- Recent / Iconic albums: Viet Cong - "Viet Cong," Parkay Quarts - "Content Nausea," Alvvays - "Alvvays," DJ Shadow - "Endtroducing....," The Velvet Underground - "The Velvet Underground & Nico," Talking Heads - "Talking Heads: 77"
- Colorado artists: Nathaniel Rateliff, DeVotchKa, The Blue Rider, Pizza Time
- Recent / Iconic Movies: "Boyhood," "Inherent Vice," "2001: A Space Odyssey," "True Stories"
- Recent / Iconic Books: "Going Clear" - Lawrence Wright, "Babbitt" - Sinclair Lewis, "Miss Lonelyhearts" - Nathanael West, "White Noise" - Don DeLillo
- Heroes: David Byrne, Jello Biafra, Lou Reed
- Food: Anything
- Teams: Pinball is my sport of choice
- Strangest radio moment: Watching Father John Misty perform on a couch in a living room was pretty surreal.
- Words to live by: "Onward! Through the fog!"
Daniel Mescher: Web guide
- Shift: All day at www.openaircpr.org
- Title: Digital Producer
- Recent / Iconic albums: "The Moon Rang Like a Bell" - Hundred Waters, "Cerulean Salt" - Waxahatchee, "The Man Machine" - Kraftwerk, "Let England Shake" - PJ Harvey, "The Queen is Dead" - The Smiths
- Colorado artists: Snake Rattle Rattle Snake, Gregory Alan Isakov, Eros and the Eschaton, Science Partner, Inner Oceans
- Recent / Iconic Movies: "Dazed and Confused," "There Will Be Blood," "What About Bob?"
- Recent / Iconic Books: "Blood Meridian," "Rip It Up and Start Again," "One Hundred Years of Solitude"
- Heroes: Brian Eno, Abraham Lincoln, Kathleen Hanna
- Food: Indian
- Teams: Chicago Blackhawks, Bears, Cubs, Bulls
- Strangest radio moment: Hosting a weekly Zappa/Captain Beefheart show in college
- Words to live by: "Make it new!"
You love listening to new music and learning about Denver's music scene. We have a weekly newsletter for you -- Inside Track. Sign up here to stay in the know about Colorado musicians making new music and the new releases you should be streaming.