Many notable musicians passed away this year, including soul legend Aretha Franklin, pop-punk pioneer Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks, prolific Fall bandleader Mark E. Smith and modern hip-hop hitmaker Mac Miller. These artists have influenced many musicians in Colorado, some of whom recently shared cover versions of songs by those we lost in 2018.
Tune in Friday, Dec. 28 at 4 p.m. for Dearly Departed: Colorado Remembers 2018, an hour-long special featuring these exclusive performances. The special also airs Saturday, Dec. 29 at 8 p.m., Monday, Dec. 31 at 5 p.m. and Tuesday, Jan. 1 at 6 p.m.
Here’s a list of the artists who participated and the musical artists they celebrated:
Celebrating Aretha Franklin
- Chella & The Hi-Dive Blues Band performs "The Weight"
- Ghost Tapes perform "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"
Celebrating Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries
Celebrating Denise LaSalle
- Funk Hunk, Nasty Nachos and Michelle Rocqet of The Milk Blossoms cover "Try My Love"
Celebrating Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit
- Automatic Iris performs "Poke"
Celebrating Mark E. Smith of The Fall
- To Be Astronauts perform "Totally Wired"
Celebrating Johnny Bender of Gamits, Nuns of Brixton
- Andy Thomas performs "Falling Apart"
Celebrating Jim Rodford of The Kinks
- Bevin Luna performs "All Day and All of the Night"
Celebrating Ray Thomas of The Moody Blues
- Kramies performs "Nights in White Satin"
Celebrating Nick Knox of The Cramps
- Colfax Speed Queen performs "Human Fly"
Celebrating Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks
- Dressy Bessy performs "What Do I Get?"
Celebrating Dennis Edwards of The Temptations
- The Trujillo Company performs "Ball of Confusion"
Celebrating Otis Rush
- Leon & The Revival performs "Working Man"
Celebrating Mac Miller
- Creekbed performs "Come Back to Earth"
- Los Mocochetes perform "What's the Use"
Celebrating Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane
- Gann Matthews performs "Today"
Hear and see many of these artists performing their original songs: Check out more sessions from the CPR Performance Studio.
You love listening to new music and learning about Denver's music scene. We have a weekly newsletter for you -- Inside Track. Sign up here to stay in the know about Colorado musicians making new music and the new releases you should be streaming.