Show will run Oct. 7-9 at Leon Gallery featuring photos by Kevin Beaty
Denver, Sept. 8, 2022 - Denverite is proud to present the photography of visual journalist Kevin Beaty at Leon Gallery this October. “Denverite Presents Denverites” will showcase portraits of Denverites made by Beaty in his six years working for the news site, which is part of Colorado Public Radio.
"Kevin is one of the most genuinely curious people I've ever met — curious in an open and humane way that enables powerful, meaningful journalism," said Dave Burdick, who's worked with Kevin since the earliest days of Denverite. "Nobody else has a view of Denver like this, and yet it feels absolutely like the Denver you and I walk around in and live in and want to know better. This is your community."
The show, which will run October 7-9, features dozens of portraits of the people who make Denver. The collection is a community of portraiture that brings our shared humanity into a gallery environment. Individually, each photograph represents one story. Together, they demonstrate the diversity of culture and experience that makes Denver dynamic and unique.
“I really wanted this to focus on the people we meet at Denverite, since being present co-collaborators in our city is central to what we do,” Beaty said. “Rather than leaning on landscapes or an individual story, we thought it was important to make this feel like a little microcosm of our Denver community.”
Beaty has been Denverite’s visual journalist since it was founded in 2016. His curiosity for the people and stories of Denver has garnered him numerous journalism awards, including four first-place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Top of the Rockies Awards in 2022. You can view his stories for Denverite here, though his photography, gifs, illustrations and artwork are found throughout the website.
“Denverite Presents Denverites” is free and open to the public October 7-9 at Leon Gallery at 1112 E 17th Avenue in Denver. The gallery’s hours are 10 a.m.-7 p.m. on Friday, 12-6 p.m. on Saturday and 12-5 p.m. on Sunday.
About Colorado Public Radio
Colorado Public Radio is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization delivering meaningful news, music, and cultural experiences to everyone in Colorado using the power of the human voice in all its forms. Roughly 95 percent of CPR’s funds come from the private support of listeners, businesses and foundations. For more information, visit www.cpr.org.
- CPR News delivers in-depth, insightful and impartial news and information from around the world, across the nation and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community.
- CPR Classical takes listeners on an in-depth exploration of thoughtfully curated music – with an emphasis on Colorado’s classical community – providing context to a broad range of meaningful and compelling works from past to present.
- Indie 102.3 takes listeners inside the world of new and independent music – exposing them to up-and-coming artists and highlighting Colorado’s local music scene.
- Denverite is an online news source dedicated to Denver's curious and concerned.
- KRCC is a public radio station in Colorado Springs, Colorado, serving Southern Colorado. KRCC is operated by Colorado Public Radio in partnership with Colorado College.