Los Angeles, March 23, 2022 - “Music Blocks,” the music appreciation podcast from Colorado Public Radio, won Best Podcast for Kids at the Podcast Academy’s second annual Ambies, the Oscars of podcasting, on Tuesday night.
“Thank you to all of the parents, teachers and students who use ‘Music Blocks’ in their homes and classrooms to spread our shared love of music with the next generation,” said co-host Luis Antonio Perez in his acceptance speech.
“Music Blocks” is a music appreciation podcast developed in consultation with Colorado music educators. Each five-minute episode focuses on a basic emotion — such as happiness, sadness or surprise — and how those feelings are expressed in music from around the world.
“I'm very proud of our team for winning this award, but I'm even more proud of the way ‘Music Blocks’ responded to the moment and served our community,” said Brad Turner, executive producer of CPR’s Audio Innovations Studio. “It gave teachers a helpful tool to discuss music during class time, helped students discover new sounds and genres, and gave parents a way to discuss emotions with their kids during the pandemic."
The show launched in August 2021 with eight episodes designed as conversation starters for middle- and high-school students. Episodes present familiar hit songs alongside music from different cultures, eras and genres.
“Music Blocks” is co-hosted by Colorado Public Radio’s Luis Antonio Perez and Rebekah Romberg. The podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, YouTube and our website. If you listen to the show, we’d love to hear about your experience with it here.
The Ambies celebrate excellence in podcasting and elevate awareness and status of podcasts as a unique and personal medium for entertainment, information, storytelling and expression. The show is hosted by The Podcast Academy, the preeminent professional podcast organization. The first award presentation, in 2021, included Colorado Public Radio’s “Back From Broken” as a nominee for Best Interview Podcast. A full list of winners is available here.
Photos and graphics related to this release can be found here. Media inquiries: Clara Shelton, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Colorado Public Radio
Colorado Public Radio is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization delivering meaningful news, music, and cultural experiences to everyone in Colorado using the power of the human voice in all its forms. Roughly 95 percent of CPR’s funds come from the private support of listeners, businesses and foundations. For more information, visit www.cpr.org.
- CPR News delivers in-depth, insightful and impartial news and information from around the world, across the nation and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community.
- CPR Classical takes listeners on an in-depth exploration of thoughtfully curated music – with an emphasis on Colorado’s classical community – providing context to a broad range of meaningful and compelling works from past to present.
- Indie 102.3 takes listeners inside the world of new and independent music – exposing them to up-and-coming artists and highlighting Colorado’s local music scene.
- Denverite is an online news source dedicated to Denver's curious and concerned.
- KRCC is a public radio station in Colorado Springs, Colorado, serving Southern Colorado. KRCC is operated by Colorado Public Radio in partnership with Colorado College.
About the Podcast Academy
Founded in February 2020, The Podcast Academy is a not-for-profit professional membership organization that celebrates excellence in podcasting and elevates awareness of podcasts as an indispensable medium for entertainment, information, and creative expression. It values individual and organizational creators alike, of all backgrounds and means, and defines achievement through the values of quality, creativity, innovation, inclusion, and impact. The Podcast Academy provides community, professional development, and industry connections through inclusive, dynamic programming. For more information about The Podcast Academy, please visit www.thepodcastacademy.com and follow/like/subscribe on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Linkedin.