(Photo: CPR/Pat Mack)The Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association reports the Sept. 29 hailstorm in the Denver area cost an estimated $213 million.
It was the eighth-most-expensive hailstorm ever in Colorado.
"Many people were caught off guard by such a violent afternoon storm occurring in late September," says Carole Walker, the assocation's executive director says. "Yet it's another reminder that Mother Nature can leave her destructive calling card at any time, so we need to be financially prepared for the unexpected."
Damage estimates included 29,000 car insurance claims totaling $87 million, and 14,000 property insurance claims at more than $126 million. Here's what it sounded like:
Here are the 10 most expensive hailstorms in the state:
- $767.6 million on July 20, 2009, Denver area
- $625 million on July 11, 1990, Denver area
- $353.3 million from June 6-15, 2009, Denver area
- $321.1 million from June 6-7, 2012, Front Range
- $276.7 million June 13-14, 1984, Denver area
- $232.8 million July 29, 2009, Pueblo area
- $225 million, Oct. 1, 1994, Denver area
- $213.3 million, Sept. 29, 2014, Denver area
- $193.5 million, May 22, 2008, Windsor
- $164.8 million, July 13, 2011, Front Range
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!