- From Benny Goodman to Count Basie, Denver singer Lannie Garrett tips her hat to the greats of swing in her newest show, “Swing Sets,” at her club, Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret. Garrett talked to CPR arts editor Chloe Veltman about when she first fell in love with the musical genre.
- The Denver Art Museum announced its first creative-in-residence Monday, 32-year-old composer Nathan Hall. CPR arts reporter Stephanie Wolf spoke with both Hall and DAM about how this program will differ from past artist residencies at the museum.
- In 1968, Colorado saw a significant rise in its hippie culture, from tiny bohemian settlements in mountain towns to communal hippie houses in the city. In light of History Colorado’s “The 1968 Exhibit,” CPR’s Ryan Warner spoke with assistant state historian B. Erin Cole about the influence hippies had -- and continue to have -- on the state’s culture and economy.
- The Colorado New Play Summit begins this weekend and new to the lineup this year is the Local Playwrights’ Slam, which mimics a poetry slam and focuses on talent within the state. CPR arts editor Chloe Veltman talked with Leslie C. Lewis, who co-founded Colorado collective Rough Draught Playwrights and helped curate the event.
- The Colorado Symphony will perform Giacomo Puccini’s opera “Tosca” three times this weekend. CPR Classical went behind the scenes to the Symphony’s rehearsal of the classic opera.
- Denver nonprofit Youth on Record debuted its new guest speaker program Wednesday night with iconic indie band Sleater-Kinney. OpenAir digital producer Daniel Mescher attended the event.
Arts happenings around Colorado this weekend:
- CPR’s Arts Bureau spotlights this weekend’s Colorado cultural happenings, including a multi-media series on 20th Century mythologist Joseph Campbell and the Colorado New Play Summit.
Coverage from CPR's arts bureau is now also available as a weekly podcast via iTunes and the NPR podcast directory.
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!