Lighthouse Writers Workshop Wins Big At Donor Pitch Event
Lighthouse Writers Workshop was the big winner at the second-annual Colorado Art Tank Tuesday night, earning $36,000.
The Arts Affinity Group (AAG), an arts-dedicated giving division of the Denver Foundation, organizes the live event, which is modeled after the hit television series "Shark Tank." On Tuesday at the University of Denver's Newman Center for the Performing Arts, six Colorado art groups competing for $65,000 pitched their projects to five panelists.
The Lighthouse Writers Workshop presented its idea for a program called "Write Denver" that will work with people from different communities to record their stories. The organization will transform those stories into visual art throughout the city.
The first place project earned $25,000 from AAG as well as $1,000 for the Audience Choice Award. The Bonfils Stanton Foundation also awarded "Write Denver" with $10,000.
The other finalists and their winnings include:
- Youth on Record's "Y.O.R. Recording Sessions and Concert Series" - $15,000
- VSA Colorado Access Gallery's "Granny Does Graffiti" - $6,000
- Molina Speaks' "The Chicano Picasso Project" - $6,000
- PlatteForum's "In The Streets" - $1,000
- Buntport Theater, The Narrators and The Playground Ensemble's "The Narrators Playground" - $1,000
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!