Report: Richest Coloradans snag all income growth since recession’s end

· Jan. 26, 2015, 6:22 pm

Though the Great Recession hurt everyone's pocketbooks, new research says the ensuing recovery has largely benefited the top 1 percent of earners in Colorado.

In fact, Colorado was one of 17 states where all income growth from 2009 to 2012 went to the top 1 percent. That's according to new research published Monday from the Economic Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based think tank that focuses on low- and middle-income American households.

Using state-level IRS tax data, researchers Estelle Sommeiller and Mark Price, both Ph.D-holding economists, found that overall income in Colorado grew more than 6 percent between 2009 and 2012. But that growth was uneven: the top 1 percent of earners in the state saw their income rise by 48.4 percent. The bottom 99 percent, on the other hand, saw their income fall by 1 percent.

"This study provides further confirmation that the state's economic recovery has been lopsided at best," Claire Levy, executive director of the Colorado Center on Law & Policy, said in a statement. "As the economy improved, only the very wealthiest Coloradans enjoyed substantial income gains while the vast majority of Colorado workers and their families - those who fuel economic growth across the state - saw little, if any, gains." 

The average income for an earner in the top 1 percent in 2012 was $1,347,381; for the bottom 99 percent that figure was $50,367.

This map shows how Colorado stacks up to the rest of the country. Darker colors indicate a higher share of income growth by the top 1 percent. (Overall income declined in Nevada, and not all data is available for Wyoming.)

You care.

You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up.  The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!