Once wasn't enough. Twice is nice.
Flyovers have emerged as a way to boost morale and honor front line health workers during the coronavirus pandemic. The Front Range has already seen two.
Now the Colorado National Guard has added a second sortie by their F-16s to spread the love to the other corners of the state. The additional mission is still part of the Air Force's Operation American Resolve.
The first flyover took place May 6 and toured the skies of the Front Range and few select cities like Sterling, on the Eastern Plains, and the mountain resorts of Estes Park, Vail, Aspen, Break and Winter Park. The guard cited fuel limitations as the reason for the limited tour.
“We know there are many more cities and towns throughout the state where people are making significant sacrifices to battle the pandemic, so we’ve gotten approval to do one more flyover mission to salute as many more heroes as possible,” said 140th Wing Commander U.S. Air Force Col. Micah Fesler in a released statement.
The fighter jets will take off from Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora Friday morning and the flyover is scheduled for approximately 11:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. This time, cities from Brighton to La Junta will get a salute.
Here's a map so you can see when they'll fly over your home town.
Quick list (flight times may vary):
- 11:03 a.m. - Platte Valley Medical Center, Brighton, CO
- 11:11 a.m. – Middle Park Medical Center, Granby, CO
- 11:14 a.m. – Kremmling Memorial Hospital, Kremmling, CO
- 11:24 a.m. – Grand River Health, Rifle, CO
- 11:31 a.m. – Colorado Canyons Hospital & Medical Center Community Hospital, Fruita, CO
- 11:37 a.m. – Saint Mary’s Hospital and Medical Center Heliport, Grand Junction
- 11:42 a.m. – Delta County Memorial Hospital, Delta, CO
- 11:45 a.m. – Montrose Memorial Hospital Heliport, Montrose, CO
- 11:55 a.m. – Southwest Memorial Hospital-Emergency Room, Cortez, CO
- 12:00 p.m. – Animas Surgical Hospital, Mercy Regional Medical Center, Durango, CO
- 12:06 p.m. – Pagosa Springs Medical Center, Pagosa Springs, CO
- 12:14 p.m. – SLV Health Regional Medical Center, Alamosa, CO
- 12:24 p.m. – Mt. San Rafael Hospital, Trinidad, CO
- 12:33 p.m. – Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center Helipad, La Junta, CO
- 12:48 p.m. – Parker Adventist Hospital, Parker, CO
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!