A disc of Sibelius recordings by the Minnesota Orchestra snagged an award for Best Orchestral Performance, edging out the late Claudio Abbado, a fellow nominee. Abbado was mentioned during the evening's tribute to musicians who passed away over the past year.
Pianist Lang Lang turned in a frenetic performance alongside Metallica.
And while composer Caroline Shaw didn't capture a Grammy, the album by her vocal chamber group Roomful of Teeth did. The disc features the complete composition for which Shaw was nominated.
Here are the classic artists who won Grammys:
- BEST ORCHESTRAL PERFORMANCE
- Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4; Osmo Vänskä, conductor (Minnesota Orchestra)
- BEST OPERA RECORDING
- Adès: The Tempest; Thomas Adès, conductor; Simon Keenlyside, Isabel Leonard, Audrey Luna & Alan Oke; Jay David Saks, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)
- BEST CHORAL PERFORMANCE
- Arvo Pärt: Adam's Lament; Tõnu Kaljuste, conductor (Tui Hirv & Rainer Vilu; Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir; Sinfonietta Riga & Tallinn Chamber Orchestra; Latvian Radio Choir & Vox Clamantis)
- BEST CHAMBER MUSIC/SMALL ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE
- Roomful Of Teeth; Brad Wells & Roomful Of Teeth
- BEST CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTAL SOLO
- John Corigliano: Conjurer - Concerto For Percussionist & String Orchestra; Evelyn Glennie; David Alan Miller, conductor (Albany Symphony); Track from "Corigliano: Conjurer; Vocalise"
- BEST CLASSICAL VOCAL SOLO
- Winter Morning Walks; Dawn Upshaw (Maria Schneider; Jay Anderson, Frank Kimbrough & Scott Robinson; Australian Chamber Orchestra & St. Paul Chamber Orchestra)
- BEST CLASSICAL COMPENDIUM
- Paul Hindemith: Violinkonzert; Symphonic Metamorphosis; Konzertmusik; Christoph Eschenbach, conductor
- BEST CONTEMPORARY CLASSICAL COMPOSITION
- Maria Schneider: "Winter Morning Walks"; Maria Schneider, composer (Dawn Upshaw, Jay Anderson, Frank Kimbrough, Scott Robinson & Australian Chamber Orchestra); Track from "Winter Morning Walks"
Love Classical Music?
Stay in touch with our hosting team at CPR Classical and learn more about the classical events occurring in the community. Sign up here for our monthly newsletter.