A disc of Sibelius recordings by the Minnesota Orchestra snagged an award for Best Orchestral Performance, edging out the late Claudio Abbado, a fellow nominee. Abbado was mentioned during the evening's tribute to musicians who passed away over the past year.
Pianist Lang Lang turned in a frenetic performance alongside Metallica.
And while composer Caroline Shaw didn't capture a Grammy, the album by her vocal chamber group Roomful of Teeth did. The disc features the complete composition for which Shaw was nominated.
Here are the classic artists who won Grammys:
- BEST ORCHESTRAL PERFORMANCE
- Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4; Osmo Vänskä, conductor (Minnesota Orchestra)
- BEST OPERA RECORDING
- Adès: The Tempest; Thomas Adès, conductor; Simon Keenlyside, Isabel Leonard, Audrey Luna & Alan Oke; Jay David Saks, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)
- BEST CHORAL PERFORMANCE
- Arvo Pärt: Adam's Lament; Tõnu Kaljuste, conductor (Tui Hirv & Rainer Vilu; Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir; Sinfonietta Riga & Tallinn Chamber Orchestra; Latvian Radio Choir & Vox Clamantis)
- BEST CHAMBER MUSIC/SMALL ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE
- Roomful Of Teeth; Brad Wells & Roomful Of Teeth
- BEST CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTAL SOLO
- John Corigliano: Conjurer - Concerto For Percussionist & String Orchestra; Evelyn Glennie; David Alan Miller, conductor (Albany Symphony); Track from "Corigliano: Conjurer; Vocalise"
- BEST CLASSICAL VOCAL SOLO
- Winter Morning Walks; Dawn Upshaw (Maria Schneider; Jay Anderson, Frank Kimbrough & Scott Robinson; Australian Chamber Orchestra & St. Paul Chamber Orchestra)
- BEST CLASSICAL COMPENDIUM
- Paul Hindemith: Violinkonzert; Symphonic Metamorphosis; Konzertmusik; Christoph Eschenbach, conductor
- BEST CONTEMPORARY CLASSICAL COMPOSITION
- Maria Schneider: "Winter Morning Walks"; Maria Schneider, composer (Dawn Upshaw, Jay Anderson, Frank Kimbrough, Scott Robinson & Australian Chamber Orchestra); Track from "Winter Morning Walks"
You read another CPR classical story to the end. We have got just the thing for classical music lovers like you: a weekly email newsletter! Sign up here to stay up-to-date on CPR Classical programming, events and stories from the world of classical music.