(Photo: Courtesy of the Denver County Fair)The Denver County Fair makes its return to the National Western Complex this weekend. From August 1-3, the festival's entertainment roster boasts over 225 events on 10 stages.
Entertainment Director & Breakfast Boss Andrew Novick spoke with me about some of this year's highlights and why they're making global headlines and county fair history. Oh, and if you're curious why Novick was given the title of Breakfast Boss, its because of his yearly X-Treme Pancake Breakfast and Breakfast Burrito buffet!
For the uninitiated, there's a reason Westword has awarded the Denver County Fair the "Best Annual Festival" three years in a row: there really is something for everyone! From freak shows to food trucks; beard and mustache contests to air hockey competitions; classic fair fare like the petting zoo to the new Pot Pavilion, the fair's fourth year is being called the nation's most progressive County Fair.
In the spirit of County Fair fun, I entered the "Pie - Other" competition with my Girl Scout Cookie themed "Gimme Samoa (that) Pie," so make sure to stop by to see if I won the Blue Ribbon Prize! I've never entered anything like this before, but I do love to bake!
Check out some highlights from this weekend's Fair below:
Alisha's Top Fair Picks:
- 50th Anniversary of The Beatles at Red Rocks - Live, precise re-creation of the 1964 concert with same set list, outfits, and equipment featuring Fourever Fab.
- Robopera en el Spacio: A Robot Opera – Multi-media performance with over 70 costumes and puppets.
- Live performance by Crispy Family Carnival.
- Live, local Lucha Libre.
- Film Trivia competitions.
- Eating competitions ranging from hot dogs, pies, bugs (ew), cheeseburgers, and more!
- Ukulele Loki presents: Denver Gets Freaky, an adult variety show.
- Miniature Horse Agility contest.
- Corpses & Crowns: Zombie Beauty Pageant, celebrating the glamour & gore of the undead through pageantry.
- Plenty of family fun including live animals, Unicorn Rides and an Art Carnival.
- Pot Pavilion featuring The Dark Side of Oz – "The Wizard of Oz" film synced up with Pink Floyd’s classic album; burlesque; joint rolling and Doritos eating competitions; and 70s folksters Brewer and Shipley will be there to perform "One Toke Over the Line" at 4:20 p.m. as the fair's finale!
You made it!
You love learning about new music and the Denver music scene. We have a weekly newsletter for you -- Inside Track. Sign up here to stay in the know about the hottest Colorado concerts and how you can score tickets!