The group treated listeners to "Letter To My Father," a powerful song from "Coloring Book" by composer Ted Hearne. "Letter To My Father" sounds tumultuous early on, but ultimately gives way to a gorgeous, delicate resolution.
The five songs in "Coloring Book" explores texts by three writers: Claudia Rankine, James Baldwin and Zora Neale Huston. "Letter From My Father" draws from Huston's "How It Feels To Be Colored Me."
Roomful of Teeth performed "Coloring Book" at its Newman Center for the Arts concert in January, which also featured a collaboration with Denver's Playground Ensemble.
An official recording of "Coloring Book" is planned for later this year.
View Roomful of Teeth's previous Performance Studio session from 2015, featuring two movements from Partita for Eight Voices. The piece, by Teeth singer and composer Caroline Shaw, won a Pulitzer Prize for Music.
More exclusive music from the CPR Performance Studio:
- Anderson & Roe Piano Duo Plays Music by Gluck
- Cellist Jay Campbell Plays Bach In The CPR Performance Studio
- Cantus Sings Haunting Music By Ysaye Barnwell
- Boulder's Matthew Dane Blends Classical, Indian Sounds On The Viola D’Amore
- An Electric Performance by Boulder Bach Festival's 'Venice on Fire' Musicians
Love Classical Music?
Stay in touch with our hosting team at CPR Classical and learn more about the classical events occurring in the community. Sign up here for our monthly newsletter.