All 416 Fire Evacuees Can Return Home; Silverton Cancels July 4 Fireworks

June 19, 2018
Photo: Colorado Wildfire 416 Fire (AP)
Flames and smoke from the 416 fire burning north of Durango.

All people evacuated by the 416 wildfire in southwestern Colorado have been allowed to return home.

The last remaining evacuation orders, affecting about 100 homes, were lifted Tuesday after the remnants of Hurricane Bud put a damper on the fire over the weekend.

The fire has been smoldering since then but it hasn't been extinguished. Crews are working to build containment lines before drier weather could cause the fire to flare up.

The fire started June 1 in the San Juan National Forest and has burned about 53 square miles. At the height of the fire, the residents of over 2,000 homes were under evacuation orders. No homes were burned.

The fire is 35 percent contained.

Still, Silverton's annual Independence Day fireworks display have been called off because of the high fire danger. The fireworks are usually part of an all day celebration that draws thousands of people to the former mining town, its biggest crowd of the year. However, Silverton Area Chamber of Commerce director DeAnne Gallegos said Tuesday that other parts of the celebration, including live music and a parade that ends with a water fight with firefighters, will go on as normal.

Gallegos says businesses have reported a 60 to 95 percent drop in revenue because of periodic closures of the only highway to town and the suspension of tourist railroad service due to the 416 Fire.

You Made It...

...through this story! And by donating right now you can make even more stories like this one possible.

MAKE YOUR GIFT TODAY