CU Boulder Chancellor: We Have ‘Difficult Work’ To Do After Racist Incident
The University of Colorado Boulder will review policies and reporting practices after a racist incident on campus this week.
During the annual State of Campus address on Tuesday, CU Chancellor Philip DiStefano said his leadership team is going to partner with student leaders to review policies, trainings, reporting practices, and campus awareness efforts. The leadership team includes Provost Russell Moore and Chief Operating Officer Kelly Fox.
DiStefano said students and faculty will be updated throughout the academic year.
“We are committed to an increasingly inclusive campus culture,” DiStefano said. “Incidents like Sunday’s only reinforce the difficult work we have yet to do.”
The campus’ police department identified 33-year-old Rebekah Krajacic as the woman who was seen on social media Sunday yelling racial slurs against black students.
CUPD officers said they found Krajacic camping on campus last month, which they said is a violation of the school’s policy. Officials say the department has received reports from other people on campus who had negative interactions with her.
Officials say she is not a student, and that she’s not affiliated with the school in any way.
The CU Boulder Black Student Alliance released a statement Monday of demands including banning the woman from all campuses.
CU Boulder President Mark Kennedy also released a statement Sunday stating “CU must support learning and working environments that foster respect for all students, faculty and staff.”
You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We can help you keep up. The Lookout is a free, daily email newsletter with news and happenings from all over Colorado. Sign up here and we will see you in the morning!